Monday, November 4, 2013

No Excuse November

This month started off pretty shaky as we were battling against coughs and runny noses. Luckily (with the help of ample amounts of Zicam) I got away with only two bad days, and I feel like I'm up and running again. And I can't help but think that an ambitious outlook on the month helped the healing process.

For the first time ever I've decided to join NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, for those who've never heard of it). I've known about NaNoWriMo for years but have never actually come close to participating. 50,000+ words in 30 days is an insane thing to do. Completely and utterly crazy.

Plus, I always had a legitimate excuse not to do it. I was working two jobs and in school full time. Then I was pregnant and getting ready to graduate. Then I had a baby, for goodness sake! The next year I had a toddler AND I was pregnant. I mean, clearly novel writing - and specifically NaNoWriMo - is for the jobless part-time college student or well-off retiree, right?

This year, I threw in the towel before November even started. I was getting sick. Plus I have two kids two and under. And on top of that I have other writing I have to do for blogging. This was clearly not the year for NaNoWriMo.

Then I looked back at the progression of my excuses and realized I will never have more time than I do right now. I will never have a November that isn't insanely busy. I will never have less than two kids vying for my constant attention - forcing me to write late into the night. I will never find the time in the future if I cannot find it now. At least not for a long, long time.

So I am taking on the challenge of 50,000 words in a month. A whole glorious novel (a feat I haven't accomplished since high school [and yes, it was indeed just as horrifically awful as you imagine a novel by an angsty teenage girl would be]). I'll be posting little updates here along with word counts.

Today I am checking in at 8027 words.

Wish me luck and scold me if I start backpedaling!

xoxo


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...