Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Young and In Love: Q+A with Kristel Acevedo

I'd like to introduce you all to Kristel Acevedo. She's a mama of two who loves eating, watching movies, and sharing pictures of her life on Instagram. She also writes a lovely blog where she chronicles her thoughts on parenting and life, and shares some adorable pictures of her kiddos.

She and her husband met in high school but didn't pay each other much notice and went their separate ways after graduation. Then one day they reunited at church and friendship turned to love and they were married by 22. Now they have two beautiful children (seriously, they are so stinkin cute!) and after a few big moves they've settled back down in Miami, Florida.

Here's a bit of Kristel's story in her words:




1.       Tell us about your journey to motherhood. How old were you when you had your first child?  

I was 25 when I became pregnant with our first and 26 when I gave birth. We planned this baby and were so excited that we got pregnant so easily. After he was born I went through a roller coaster of emotions and wasn’t sure I could handle this motherhood thing. I doubted we would ever have a second child but when Liam was only ten months old we were blessed with a surprise pregnancy. I have to say that transitioning to two children hasn’t been bad at all and I love being a mom to two beautiful kids, even if they’re only a year and a half part and I didn’t plan for it to happen this way.


2.      How did your family and friends react to the news of your pregnancies? 

When we told our families (on Christmas day!) that we were pregnant with our first everyone was shocked but so happy. I don’t think they were expecting it, but we had nothing but positive reactions and tears of joy. When we announced our second we were met with shock again and a lot of, “Ooookay, but you’re not having any more after this, right?!” Haha. I don’t think anyone was expecting us to get pregnant again before our son was even a year old. But everyone has been very supportive and we’re blessed to have such a great family.


3.      Tell us a little about your love story. How have you and your husband evolved over the course of your relationship? 

When Alex and I first met we were only 15 years old and belonged to completely different worlds. I don’t remember saying two words to him in the years we were in high school together. After graduation we went on with our lives and I never even thought of him. At 20 years old he showed up at my church one day and we became instant friends. It didn’t take long for the attraction to grow, and before we knew it we were married at the age of 22. In a way, I feel like we have grown up together. We were so young and naive when we first got together. Neither one of us had ever lived on our own or anything before. Together we learned how to run a household, pay bills, cook dinner, go grocery shopping, etc. Then we embarked on the world of parenthood, and we’ve been figuring out how to take care of these kids together.

We’re no longer the young and carefree teenagers we were when we first met. And at this stage in our life we don’t have the same amount of adventure and spontaneity in our life. We’re in a season where we’re changing diapers, managing nap schedules, and putting the kids ahead of ourselves. Honestly it was a tough transition but we’re getting the hang of it now and love seeing each other in our parental roles. I love that we’re still best friends through it all.


4.      What’s the balance like between work and motherhood right now? 

I have been a stay-at-home mom since my son was born so thankfully I haven’t had to figure out how to balance work and motherhood but I am starting to think about going back to work. I am hoping that by the time my daughter is one or two years old I will be able to find a job I love and then I’ll be asking every working mother I know how they manage to handle it all!


5.      What has been the most challenging part of parenthood so far? 

I’m an introvert. The hardest part about being an introvert and married with two little ones is rarely finding that alone time that is so needed to recharge. Being that I’m a stay-at-home mom, and we currently live with my grandmother which makes it all the more difficult to find that “me” time. I have to be really intentional about scheduling that in, because I can become a really ugly person when I don’t. It’s been challenging getting a good balance into my life but I’m learning.


6.      How has motherhood changed you? 

I think I’m a lot more sentimental. I’ve never been the type of girl who cries during movies, but now I will cry even during commercials if there’s a mother-child theme involved. It’s crazy how much I love my kids and would do anything for them.


7.      What are your aspirations right now? How have they changed since becoming a mother?

 My number one aspiration is to be a great mom and wife. I’m still figuring out the rest. I have a blog that I love to write in and would love to see that grow. I think I would also like to find more writing opportunities outside of the blog. I have a master’s degree in Biblical Counseling and haven’t been able to use it...so maybe there’s counseling in my future. I used to have a lot more “professional” goals but since becoming a mom I’ve put that all on the back burner so I can focus on my kids while they’re still babies.


8.      What do you most love about your life right now? 

That I’m surrounded by so much love and support. My husband adores me, my kids are obsessed with me, my family is always here to help, my friends are like family. Every day I’m honestly so thankful for this life of mine, even if it can be stressful and crazy at times!
 
 
 
 Check out Kristel's blog, Glowing Light (complete with it's own brand new Facebook Page) and follow her on Twitter @KristelAce.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...